#profile-container h2.sidebar-title {display:none;}

Monday, October 16, 2006

My Incessant Talking Problem


I love speaking. For me it is like breathing, a way of existing not merely a form of communication. As a baby my mother thought I was incredibly gifted as I was talking much earlier than other babies. No such luck. I was just an incredible chatterbox.

On Thursday I began to experience a pain in my top left wisdom tooth. On Friday (Friday 13th!!) I went to the dentist who told me that there is no room in my mouth for my wisdom teeth to grow properly and proceeded to extract that particular tooth on the spot. As I was lying on the reclining seat with the dental nurse holding my head, half my face numbed and the dentist yanking at my tooth like mad what was I thinking?? Well it did cross my mind that if it didn't come out in one piece I might choke to death on bits of tooth and blood. However what was really frustrating me was the fact that this was a situation in which it was impossible to speak. Perhaps a gurgling sound would have been possible, but this would only cause the dentist to think I was a wimp and couldn't deal with it. Not being able to talk actually caused me more pain than the tooth extraction. This is when I began to think I may have a problem.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to the blogworld. Retrospective congratulations on publishing your new blog Lorraine.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Lady Fotherington-Smethers said...

Thanks Parnell. It is an intriguing world. Nice to be noticed!!

9:08 AM  
Blogger The Divine Mr. M said...

I have to admit that ninety percent of the time i suffer from the same ailment.

I even talk through films and have to say that most films are nowhere near as interesting without my running commentary.

Lovely blog.

Now where's the next one?

9:13 AM  
Blogger Lady Fotherington-Smethers said...

Thanks Mr Oracle - the next blog will emerge when I finish this goddammed assignment on teaching methods. I have only around 500 more words to go but am trying to make them make sense which is difficult. I may be a chatterbox but I do not talk through films - everyone hates you for this. I went to see The Departed recently - it is brilliant - go and see it.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Antonio from Italy said...

I started speaking pretty late as a baby, my parents were concerned I could have some problem.
Very soon they changed their mind and never got rid of my incessant talking.
Sometimes my mother or my sister used to ask me when I could stop for a while and let their ears rest!
Welcome into the Blogosphere!

3:35 AM  
Blogger Antonio from Italy said...

Hi Lorainne, thanks for your kind comment in my blog.
Your observation about man's nature is interesting and in some parte true. I try to pass unnoticed, I could never wear any clothes that could attract people's eyes on me.

Your name is 'anonymous' in my blog because you're not a subscriber of the platform... Don't worry ;-)
Cheers!

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found you via Sandra in Toronto - I too like to talk.....alot. My dentist told me years ago that in his 15 years practising, thatI was the only person who had tried to talk with a clamp in their mouth!
Enjoy blogging!

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this blogsite because I'm desparate to figure out how to deal with an incessant talker, my father. I just spent yet another holiday with him, and my entire family (husband and kids) returned home feeling used, because of his incessant talking. As odd as it sounds, it almost feels like being raped after spending a day with him. I'm talking 'seriously' abusive. There's no way anyone else can have a conversation because he just can't stop long enough to allow anyone else to get a word in edgewise. I love my dad and don't want to hurt his feelings, but he has no friends who'll spend time with him, and I imagine it's because nobody else can stand it either! I know it's really unhealthy for me to spend a day in this type situation, but can't get around the guilt of not spending time with him. I feel bad for him, but also feel bad for my family. It's not funny or trivial. It's really a serious problem.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Lady Fotherington-Smethers said...

Hi anon - well, I'm not as bad as your dad because if someone interrupts me I will generally take the hint!!! I suggest a)try interrupting your dad when he is in full flow and being more forceful about getting a share of the conversation OR b) if you just want a bit of piece and quiet do what my dad does to me (my dad is quite quiet) he ignores me (or, as he is getting older, he pretends he is going a bit deaf and hasn't heard me at all).

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home