#profile-container h2.sidebar-title {display:none;}

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Prayer Answered



I found an old newspaper cutting recently which containned a prayer which, the writer claimed is never known to fail. I think it was from the Irish Post or some similar paper which I can't remember buying. The extract read as follows:

Say this prayer 3 times for 3 consecutive days and it will be granted to you.

Oh, most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, fruitful vine, splendour of heaven, blessed mother of the son of God, immaculate virgin, assist me in my necessity. Oh, star of the sea, help me and show me you are my mother. Oh, holy Mary mother of God, queen of heaven and earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart to succour me in my necessity (make your request). There are none that can withstand your power.Oh Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. (say this 3x) Holy mother, I place this cause in your hands. (say this 3x)

I remember saying this prayer when I was a teenager and as was typical of me then I was asking for all kinds of riches and romances and successes which never happened. However very recently I thought I would give it another try. Someone very close to me has been having some worrying career problems that he has been unable to solve. Whatever he has tried seems to have gone wrong. I made a request that he find a new job that would make him happy - and you know what, it worked!!!

So, I have come to the conclusion that this prayer only brings results when you ask for something good, something unselfish, or something to benefit someone else.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Julia Buckley said...

I'm an atheist myself. But I do meditate, so I think I have some understanding of how it feels to have a good old pray!

I hope it's helping to bring your thoughts into focus and keeps things in perspective for you.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Lady Fotherington-Smethers said...

Yes Julia, it does help. I seldom actually go to church (ie mass), but sometimes I go in a church when no one is there to sit and meditate. Some churchgoers can be a bit narrow minded and think their views are right and dissapprove very strongly of anyone who doesn't agree with them!!! I definitly believe in God and life after death but it is a matter of faith and no one knows exactly what is out there do they so no one has a right to judge??? There was a good article in yesterdays Guardian about the real religious disagreements being between believers and unbelievers. Well known athiest Richard Dawkins book The God Delusion was mentioned. I think everyone should be free to think what they like as long as they are not hurting anyone.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Julia Buckley said...

Yeah, there are plenty of atheists who are like that too! I completely agree, everyone should be free to have their own beliefs. And I think discussion of them is good too. It's helpful for all of us to hear other people's views on a/theism and to consider what we ourselves truly believe - otherwise we're just accpeting other people's beliefs and not really making our own minds up at all.

When I used to live in St Albans, I would go and sit in the Cathedral sometimes when it was quiet, just for a think. Such a lovely building.

Have you read any Dawkins? He's actually a surprisingly entertaining read, for an academic!

8:48 AM  
Blogger CW said...

Religion and belief systems are in essence good things, but once someone chooses to shove their own beliefs down someone else's throat problems arise.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Lady Fotherington-Smethers said...

Julia I love St Albans cathedral it is really peaceful. I also like Westminster Cathedral, Westminster Abbey and St Pauls. However a strange and rather deranged looking man did try to chat me up in Westminster Cathedral once which rather ruined the atmosphere!!

I agree Ciaran - some people use religion as an excuse to emphasise their differences wheras it should be about tolerance and accepting everyone is not going to think the same.

5:35 AM  
Blogger CW said...

That's archbishops for you Lorainne! They just can't cope with the celibacy!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Lady Fotherington-Smethers said...

Very funny Ciaran!! Unfortunately twas a lay person who chatted me up. I say unfortunately as some members of the clergy have a strange attraction....maybe it is the fact they are unnatainable....

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home