#profile-container h2.sidebar-title {display:none;}

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Prostitution of my Talent??

I was considering trying to write a romantic novel. It might be a money-spinner. Lots of women read them. They are short. They are in simple language. They all have a similar story in different settings (some of them have sex scenes in - some don't). Boy meets girl. Boy falls out with girl (include some type of weak storyline). They get back together and go off into the sunset. Throw in a man who is strong, rich, good looking, really arrogant and domineering with no sense of humour and a woman who is beautiful, sweeter than a candyfloss dipped in saccharin and more annoying than the Crazy Frog song and hopefully I will have a couple of grand in the bank no fuss.

The problem is I do not think of relationships in a traditionally romantic way - I tend to think they are like having a best friend you have sex with. I don't think writing
"She went out with him, they slept together. It was quite nice. They seemed to get on reasonably well and have a lot in common so they decided to live together"
is going to sell my book. So I thought I would have a look at some romantic novels in the local bookshop. Lines such as:
"He kissed her and it felt like the sun, moon and stars wre coming down from heaven and she was transported to other realms...."
did worry me. Who wants to read this drivel, I thought. Then I came up with an even better idea - I will write a comedy romantic novel...taking the mick out of the whole genre...,there must be lots of people who think like me who will buy it!! At least I hope so.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do only short women read romantic novels? I was not aware of this.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Lady Fotherington-Smethers said...

I meant the novels are short not the women who read them vicus!! (but I take your point - the sentence was ambiguous)

12:59 AM  
Blogger CW said...

There's probably a gap in the publishing market for this, Lorainne - subverting the chic lit/rom com into a satirical piss-take. Maybe you could publish a few extracts on the blog and invite contributions from readers?

2:30 AM  
Blogger Antonio from Italy said...

If romantic novels aren't what you are really into, try write a novel about friendship and sex, much sex, then.
If women (short or tall ;-P) won't buy it, surely men will!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Lady Fotherington-Smethers said...

good idea Antonio - pehaps i should write an erotic novel for men!!!!!

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd definitely buy it if you took the mick out of the genre! There's nothing wrong with romantic novels - it's great escapism - but I simply cannot write them. I've tried, but I soon get bored. Maybe I'm just too cynical. That's why I am now writing a vampire novel(though there's still love in it).

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home